Saturday, January 21, 2017

Special Birthday Memories

This is forty
I love birthdays!  I think of them as special days to celebrate life! As my fortieth birthday was approaching, I knew it was going to be special.  I knew it was a year to do some extra reflecting and appreciating. So, I wrote my "Top 40 Highlights from the Gal with Gray Highlights" blog.  I completely enjoyed that process.  I wrote it as a birthday gift to myself, but I decided to share it and I'm so glad I did.  There were such touching comments:
"I'm so happy you wrote it.  Thank you so very much.  I like the way you write.  It was so interesting to read about the way of your life living.  Thank you!"  
"Thank you for your thankful story and to let us take part in."
"Beautiful!  And inspiring...I, too, am turning 40 this year!"
"Jennifer, this is beautiful, just like you!  God has blessed you with so many talents and I'm thankful that we crossed paths many years ago.  Here is a pre-birthday wish that your next 40 years will be just as amazing!  Thank you for sharing this with us!"
"What a wonderful way to show thankfulness and joy in the 40 years that God has given you so far.  Best of all, you are experiencing that life in abundance because of Jesus (John 10).  Thank you for sharing this.  I am glad you love Mendelssohn's 'Elegy.'  I do too."
     Now I am writing this blog as a way to help me remember this very special 40th birthday.  I felt loved and cherished and celebrated and I want to always remember.
     The Thursday night before my Saturday birthday I went to a Paint Nite in St. Cloud with my good friend, Julie.  I love to do new things and this birthday was full of new things!  The painting we created at Paint Nite was full of blues...my favorite color.  Julie and I had a great time together.  And, she gave me a new scarf!

The Friday before my birthday was a school day.  It was a special day with my students.  Many of them made me cards that said sweet, affirming things and were full of colorful drawings.  My friend, Becky gave me a cute blue scarf with giraffes on it.  I love it!  And, at lunchtime my friend, Angie took me to Subway and gave me an adorable blue infinity scarf.  It was special celebrating my birthday with Angie because she lives in Spain and just happened to be home during a time period that included my January birthday.  She even wore a scarf I had given to her for Christmas!

After school that day I had a surprise visit from one of my students from last year's class.  Collin came bearing a birthday gift!  He and his mom had made a quilt for me!  Collin picked the pattern and colors and his mom quilted it.  I was so touched!  And, it's a super cute quilt!
The morning of my birthday, I got up and had hot cocoa from my "Happy Birthday" mug and opened presents from my sweet husband.  He had bought me two sweatshirts from Cabela's.  I am wearing one of them in the first picture of this blog.  We had a relaxing morning together (including time for me to play piano) and then hit the road.  Our first stop was lunch in Maple Grove at Biaggi's Italian Restaurant.  Yum!  Then we drove to Stillwater where we checked into our Bed and Breakfast (complete with our own fireplace!) and visited the Ice Castles in the afternoon light.

We did some antique shopping and ate supper at the Tilted Tiki where there was live music sung by a Hawaiian man.  
We put on our warmest winter wear and went to the Ice Castles that evening.  There was classical music being piped in and the lights inside the ice changed color.  There was a maze and a slide and some neat ice sculptures.  It was fun to experience another new thing on my birthday.

On Sunday we did more exploring around Stillwater after attending a beautiful church service in Afton.  That evening we got together with my dear friend, Amy.  Amy's birthday is two days after mine, so we have spent the day inbetween our birthdays together for many years.  We call it "AmyJen Day."  
Monday was a day off from school, so Todd and I slowly meandered our way home from Stillwater back to Becker.  We stopped at a cute coffee shop along the way.  
I love spending time with my husband!  We got home on Monday afternoon and I spent the next couple hours reading lovely messages on Facebook and email from friends and family.  These are some of my favorites:
"Dearest Jennifer, I just wanted to wish you a wonderful birthday!  You have blessed so many people in your writing, hugs, getting people together to fellowship, and ministry as a teacher.  May this year be full of wonderful surprises and blessings." 
"Happy Birthday, Jen!  Another decade wiser...What a blessing!  And, what a blessing you are to everyone who knows you.  One of my new goals is to be a blessing to others, and you are one of my role models.  Hoping you had a great day and praying that you will have a wonderful year.  Can hardly wait to visit with you again!"
"Of all the people I've known in my life, you deserve all the goodness and happiness this world has to offer."
"Fun to see all the birthday greetings coming in for you!  You are so important to and loved by so many!"
"Congratulations my happy happy friend!"  
"Happy Birthday to you my Wonderful friend! 40 never looked better than it does on you :) Enjoy your birthday weekend!" 
I got phone calls over my birthday weekend from my parents, from all three of my siblings, and from my friend, Sheryl.  I got cards in the mail that made me feel loved.  I even got a video sent to my email from my friend, Anette in Norway.  She and her daughters sang to me!
     Here it is a week later, and I'm still celebrating!  This evening I went to Good Earth Restaurant with good friends to celebrate the January birthdays (Amy and me).  And, I'm looking forward to more celebrating with my parents in Alexandria in the near future.

     Winter can be long in Minnesota, so I'm especially thankful for these warm, happy memories to reflect upon in these cold days ahead.  I'm full-up with thankfulness!

Celebrating with Mom and Dad in Alexandria!






No comments:

Post a Comment