Sunday, September 18, 2011

Our Love Story

The Happy Couple...

     This picture was taken in August of 2007.  We had just begun dating in July and this was our first time out together in public.  We chose the annual church "Picnic at the Park" to be the first place seen together.  It was so fun to see people giving us smiles and winks and "thumbs up!"  So, how did it all begin?  Would you like to hear our story?  You would!  Well, goodie!
      In June of 2007 I attended a different church picnic at Olsen's house and enjoyed visiting with members of my church.  At one point I was sitting with the kids (holding a little baby and protecting her eyes from the bubbles being played with) and this handsome man, Todd Sapp pulled up a chair next to me and started talking to me.  We talked about our travel experiences out in the western United States.  I remember thinking that it was a nice conversation.  It was easy to talk to Todd and I didn't feel nervous or akward like I often did when talking to guys.  It was nice.  I started noticing him in church after that.
     Then on a Sunday night in July there was another church function, this time an outside baptismal service on Lake Julia.  Todd's sons James and Daniel were baptized that day.  Todd's Dad was there too.  Near the end of the event, I was standing on the hill and Todd came up to me and we small-talked some with James.  James left for a minute and Todd leaned in and asked if I would like to go out to dinner with him.  I gave him a big smile and said, "SURE!"  We arranged that he would call me with details.
      Was I excited or what?!?!?!  I could not sleep that night.  I literally stayed up all night!  I was sooo excited!  Angie, my housemate, was in Ukraine at the time and so I couldn't keep her up, so I played piano, I read my Bible aloud, I prayed, I danced around the house, I was flying on Cloud 9 all night long!  Before the sun rose I went out onto the porch and just sat there smiling at the stars and then smiling at the sunset, and then rejoicing in the brand new day.  I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep.  I was so smitten!  I was so touched that he had chosen me!  I was so excited at the possibilities!
      We ended up having to wait an entire week before our first date which was the following Sunday night.  A few days before the first date I went to my pastor and his wife and told them about my exciting upcoming date and they prayed for me.  They prayed for me and Todd right there in the entryway of their home.  It was beautiful.  That week I went shopping for a brand new outfit to wear (khaki shorts, dangly pearl earrings and the green button-up blouse you can see in the photograph above).  Todd called at one point that week and asked what he should wear on our first date.  I told him what I was wearing and then the night of our date he showed up in khaki shorts and a green button-up shirt!  We were "matchers!"  I thought that was so cute!
      Our first date was in St. Cloud at the "Outback Steakhouse."  Again, I was so excited I could barely eat and those burgers are HUMONGOUS!  We talked and talked and talked.  We went to Coldstone Creamery for dessert and talked some more.  That was Sunday night.  Wednesday noon we met for lunch at Subway during his lunch break.  Friday evening we went out for supper in Buffalo and went to a performance of "Guys and Dolls" at the Buffalo Community Theater.  It was all such fun!  Then Todd had to leave for THREE WEEKS to go on a family vacation with his boys, his parents, and some friends.  He called me three times.  Angie could tell it was him when he called because my voice would "go up three octaves!"  I remember that the first phone call was from Medora, North Dakota and I love Medora.  I asked him to look around and tell me what he could see right at that moment.  His response: "dirt!"  I liked that answer.
      After Todd's trip I think you could say we "power-dated!"  We either saw each other or talked on the phone every single day after that trip.  It was a wonderful, magical time.  I didn't need much sleep.  I didn't need much food.  I was just high on life!  We were engaged in January of 2008 (six months after our first date).  He took me to the Paramount Theater to see a Buddy Holly show.  Before the show began we went up into the balcony to look around.  He suggested I sit down.  Then he got down on one knee and proposed!  I said, "Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!"  It was wonderful!  During the concert one of the performers even announced our engagement.  We stood up in front of hundreds of people and they applauded for us.  The spotlight shone on us and everything.  Exciting.
Gettin' engaged!
      I LOVED planning my wedding.  We planned it in three months and I enjoyed every little part of it.  We went to Chicago to visit my sister Patty and find the bridesmaid dresses for her and Kia.  David was also going to stand up next to me, but he only needed a tie to match the dresses!  I found MY dress in Alexandria with my Mom.  It was the perfect dress, made just for me!  AND, it was on sale!  We found a beautiful tiara and veil too.  Todd and I shopped for ties for him and David and the groomsmen at Kohls.  Our friend Janet hemmed three of Todd's suits to fit Todd, James, and Daniel.  We figured out music for the wedding and found our musicians.  We had pre-marriage meetings with Pastor Rob.  It was a whirlwind of excitement and joy!
    May 3rd, 2008 our married life began.

 And, we lived happily ever after! 

No comments:

Post a Comment