Monday, November 7, 2011

Caroling, Caroling, Now We Go!

We LOVE to SING!
The Carolers, Christmas of 1994
It's November.  At Alexandria Jefferson High School sixteen lucky high schoolers are practicing, practicing, practicing for the upcoming Caroler season.  It's practically like an athletic season!  From the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas break we went caroling somewhere almost every single day (sometimes more than once in a day).  We sang for church groups, club groups, special programs, individual people's Christmas parties, and so many more!  It was such fun!  We sang both secular and sacred Christmas songs.  We took turns introducing the songs.  We sang and sparkled and loved every minute of it!  We had matching outfits (complete with bustles).  But, not many years after this photo was taken, the Carolers were given new outfits and each one was different from the next.  I always think of my wonderful Caroling experience each December.  I miss it.  I cherish the memories of those two Decembers sharing Christmas cheer and the news of Jesus' birth with others. 
When the Carolers were not Carolers, we were the Pop Group!  We sang fun old songs like "Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy" and "Blue Skies."  It was awesome.  I was also in two girls groups that met regularly.  I did a LOT of singing in my high school career and I loved it.  My friends were singers too and we had fun together.  I was in a group called Persona Grata (which means Friends in Latin).  We sang a variety of music.  We sang for the infamous "Jingle Bells" program on late at night one night in December in Alexandria.  Persona Grata started out having guys and gals, but after that first year, we switched to being only a girls group.  Les Marquis was another girls group I was in.  We sang all year long too, but our busiest time of year was around Valentine's Day!  We sang a great medley of 50s tunes (Why Must I Be a Teenager in Love, Lollipop, Earth Angel, and Shoo Be Do).  We did singing Valentines.  We were a hit!  We wore old letter jackets and poodle skirts.  Then in the spring of my Senior Year, we brought back that great medley of songs and sang it for the Senior Recital I gave to raise money for my year in Up With People.  What fun memories!
Persona Grata

Get Your Singing Valentine!

Singing at my recital, 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment