Monday, April 22, 2013

Yatagiri

Yatagiri:  Little girl born into poverty.  Little girl from southern India.  Little girl with parents who are "workers" and spiritually lost.  Little girl with lots of siblings who have to stay home while she goes to Compassion school and gets colorful letters from America.  Little girl who doesn't know the Lord.  Little girl who touched the heart of Big girl: Jennifer... who wanted to make a difference and put a smile on Little girl's face.  Yatagiri who grew up and is now 13.....
 
 It's a true story.  I am the Big girl.  I am the one who chose one day to support this sweet waif with no smile. 
Those big brown eyes, that gorgeous face, that sweet laugh that might not be heard enough.  I began that day to pray for Yatagiri.  I wrote her letters and sent her photos and gave money for Christmas and Birthday gifts in addition to ever-increasing monthly support.  Each time a letter came from her via the translator I'd devour it.  She was learning about Jesus.  She got a dress for Christmas and a doll for her birthday.  She liked to write stories!  Her family sends their greetings and their love.  She prays.  She sings.  And on the fourth photo update, she smiles! 

Then last week a letter came from Compassion stating that some major decisions were being made for Yatagiri and her school.  Within the next 90 days Compassion is going to decide if it needs to withdraw all support.  According to the letter:  "The child development center Yatagiri attends has not been able to meet all of Compassion's standards for ministering to children in need."  What?  My sweet Little girl may NOT be getting all her needs met?  Is she learning about Jesus or being taught Hindu ways?  Is she getting enough to eat or is there corruption going on?   

What could it be?  I began to panic.  I began to forget to trust God.  I began to lose hope.  Jennifer, "Trust in the Lord, with all your heart.  Lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."  And, "He who began a good work in Yatagiri will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."  God knows what He is doing.  Nothing surprises Him.  He cares about Yatagiri way more than I ever could.  Even if Compassion tells me I can no longer support   
 her or send her letters, I can always pray for her.  God hears.  He knows.  He listens.  I can trust HimHe is good. 
  I received the letter from Compasison about a week ago.  Today I received in the mail a photo update.  She's beautiful.  She's still the same Little girl.  But, Yatagiri's not smiling any more.  I cannot stop praying.  I cannot stop hoping.  I want to meet Yatagiri in Heaven some day.  I want to see her smile and hear her laughter and give her a hug.  She is the Sarala I never had.  I won't give up on her.  Just as God never gives up on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment