Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Reflection on Blankets

Isaiah
 A Reflection on Blankets.....
    I have the joy of working in our church nursery on Sunday mornings during Sunday School hour.  What a great way to start a new week!  Two of the kids are Hannah and Isaiah (aren't they dolls?!?!?).  These twins absolutely LOVE their blankets!  They drag them around and cuddle with them and sometimes trip over them!  They ALWAYS have them in sight.  I think Hannah and Isaiah feel cared for and secure in the nursery, but I think their
Hannah

 blankets give them that extra measure of comfort, familiarity and love.  One  can never have too much of that!
      So, I have been reflecting on the "blankets" in my life that bring me comfort, familiarity, and love.  First of all, the love of God covers me like an invisible blanket.  He protects and nurtures me in ways that seem almost as tangible as a blanket.  He is ever-present and always good. 
 



blanket made by Grandma Iverson
     Secondly, the love and support of my family covers me like a blanket.  The next photo is of a blanket my Grandma Iverson made for me when I was a girl.  She made one for most of her 10 grandchildren.  I love how bright and colorful it is.  My Grandma valued crafts and artistic hobbies.  She taught us how to cross-stich and how to use a spool and some yarn to "knit."  I even latch-hooked an owl pillow cover with her.  Fun memories.  So, when I see this blanket, it's familiarity reminds me of
blankets I made for Grandma and Grandpa Alber
 Grandma.  When I wrap myself in it, it reminds me of Grandma's love. 
t-shirt quilt made in Mountain Lake
        It's a wonderful thing, being loved by grandparents.  And, I think grandparents adore being loved by their grandchildren.  I made tie fleece blankets for my Grandma and Grandpa Alber one year.  They were at that age where they did more sitting than moving around.  So, those blankets were appreciated, I know.  Now that Grandma and Grandpa are with Jesus in Heaven, I have the blankets in my own home.  They comfort me and remind me of love.      
Swedish quilting done by Mary Lou

     Another blanket in my life is my blanket of memories.  We all have memories that pop into our minds that make our hearts smile.  Those memories cover us and comfort us and brighten our days.  A tangible way I remember some of those special moments is looking at my t-shirt quiltA couple friends in Mountain Lake made a t-shirt quilt for me (and I got to help!).  The quilt has squares from Medora, North Dakota, from my Up With People tour to Venezuela, from All State Orchestra camp, from our high school performance of Fiddler On The Roof, from All State Lutheran Choir, from attending a Laura Ingalls Wilder pageant in Walnut Grove, Minnesota with my mom, and even from my tap dancing days!  I got to pick the fabric for the quilt, so it is my favorite bright blue!  Talk about feeling comfy and cozy under a quilt full of memories!
John Deere blanket I made for Todd
     When Todd and I got married, we were given a lovely Swedish quilt made by Mary Lou (who is Todd's dad's wife).  To me, that quilt represents the joy-filled day of our wedding.  I just loved being surrounded by family and friends.  I felt covered in love.
     The final picture is one of Todd sitting on our loveseat, in our TV-watching room, covered by a fleece tie-blanket that I made especially for us to share.  We cuddle together under that blanket as we relax and unwind after another busy day.  I adore doing life with this man!  I am so thankful for him.  I love sharing all my "blankets" with him!
      May you be blessed as you reflect on the special blankets in your life today.     

No comments:

Post a Comment