Sunday, November 10, 2013

Amish Proverbs

      I recently finished the book,  Amish Peace, Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World.  It was filled with wonderful devotional thoughts and Amish Proverbs .  I want to share some of those proverbs with you today.

The most beautiful attire is a smile.
     Hearing this proverb made me want to burst out into "You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile" from Annie.  It also reinforced for me my belief that natural is beautiful.  And, I am a firm believer in smiling!  A simple smile can brighten someone's day, calm an anxious heart, and spread joy.  

Jumping for joy is good exercise.
      I've been learning about exercise and strength training lately, as I try to be the best me I can be.  But, the times I enjoy moving the most are the times when I do liturgical dance and praise time in my living room!  More joy!  We all need more joy! 

More is caught than taught.
     As a teacher I know this is true!  I teach and guide and my students learn, but when it comes right down to it, what they remember most about second grade is how they felt.  If they felt loved and accepted, then my mission was accomplished!

Trusting God turns problems into opportunities.
     There is nothing quite like total trust and abandonment to the Lord.  Once you trust Jesus as your Lord and Savior, there is no problem too big that you and God can't handle together.  

A heart touched by grace brings joy to the face.
     Grace is one of the greatest gifts God gives His children.  He bestows His grace on us even though we don't deserve it and He teaches us how to give grace to each other.  It is only when I learn to live in freedom and accept grace (rather than beat myself up when I am not perfect) that joy and peace are truly reflected on my face.  That is one of my goals in life.... to shine that joy and peace because of God's gift of grace.   

It's better to have a wife on your team than on your back.
     This proverb just made me laugh as pencil sketches and pictoral illustrations popped into my head!  I strive to be a team player and not a nag.  I guess only Todd could tell you how I'm doing.

Never doubt in the dark what God has shown you in the light.
     Now this proverb I have heard before.  In fact, I had a notecard with those very words written on it taped into my cupboard at school way back in the year 2000 when I began teaching.  I love the truth of this proverb.  There are times when I know that I know that God wants me to do something.  I have a true peace about something specific.  That is when I know God is revealing something to me "in the light."  So, doubting it later is fruitless because I know that I know what God has done.   

Opportunity may knock once, but temptation bangs on your front door forever.    
      This final proverb is very wise.  Life is short.  Make good choices.  Make God choices.  He will help you when temptation knocks.  You and He can work through anything!





No comments:

Post a Comment