Monday, August 1, 2011

The little C

Sheryl and Jennifer
One of my best friends in the whole wide world has breast cancer.  We spent the weekend together to talk and process.  Her MRI and other tests are coming up and then she'll know the full extent of her treatment.  I gave her a mug that made her cry but I want to write what was basically written on this mug: "Christ is always with you:
You are strong, a survivor, a woman of faith, a fighter, able to meet any challenge - even the big C because you have an even bigger C on your side!"  Sheryl and I decided that really cancer is just a little C when you know Christ as your big C.  She wore her "hope" necklace all weekend and we got matching bracelets and we enjoyed lots of laughs.  Somehow I just know that she is going to be okay.  I believe that God is going to give her a peace that passes all understanding.  I've seen Him give that gift to others.  My friend Becky was diagnosed with breast cancer and she beat it!  The odds were against her in many ways - but God had other plans.  I prayed for Becky so much!  I felt like I was along on her journey as I checked her Caring Bridge site and prayed some more.  She told me about that peace from God that she felt. 
Becky and Jennifer
      My friend Cindy experienced that peace too.  She had breast cancer and had to do Chemotherapy and she beat it!  She is a strong, beautiful woman who teaches Kindergarten and she experienced God's peace.  I think Sheryl will experience that peace and someday she'll be able to share her cancer survivor stories with others who need her encouragement.  I will pray and pray and pray for Sheryl, just as I prayed for Becky and Cindy, and just as I am praying for my friend Lisa and my young friend Cassidy.  Lisa has breast cancer and yet, she is one of the most positive, caring people I know.  I had the priviledge of teaching next door to Lisa for two years.  What an excellent teacher!  What a great Mom to her three kids.  What a neat, Christian woman who is very real and sincere!  She inspires me daily!
Cassidy is going to win this fight!
    Cassidy is a sweet girl who was in my Sunday School class when I was teaching.  She has a great sense of humor.  She also has Leukemia.  And, she's going to be okay.  Cassidy's mom is a good friend of mine.  It has not been an easy road for Cassidy and her family, but she is a fighter, a survivor and she is going to be okay too!  She is going to beat this! 
   I love these survivor stories and the hope and optimism people can now feel despite the word Cancer!  My aunt died when she was three years old from Leukemia.  But, that was back in 1950.  I am so grateful to live in an era where some cancers can be cured.  I first felt the effects of losing someone to cancer when I lived in Mountain Lake and my good friend Lana's mom died.  I remember just feeling full of anger that there could be such a disease that could take away loved ones in the painful way that Cancer does.  Two women from our church (Linda and Laureen) died from cancer.  They were some of the most positive, spiritual women I knew!   My husband Todd's mom, Lynne died from Breast Cancer about 14 years ago.  What a loss!  I never knew her.  That makes me sad.  My friend Jennifer Kessler, who taught third grade right next door to me, died of cancer.  I miss her.  We've all been affected by people with cancer.  We all want this disease to STOP!  My friend Kimberly has done fund raising and walks/runs for Cancer.  She lost her mom and aunt to Cancer and she is a fighter on behalf of others.  Kimberly inspires me.  I read on a Caribou mug recently the answer someone wrote to the question:  "What do I stay awake for?"  The person had written:  "To find a way to stop breast cancer worldwide!"  I have hope for that day.  I have hope that by the time my niece Anna has her own children someday cancer will be wiped out just as Polio and Tuberculosis are now!  In the meantime I'll keep praying for Sheryl and Lisa and Cassidy and others that come into my life that need prayer.  Let's all pray for a cure!
Lynne and Doug Sapp
          

No comments:

Post a Comment