Friday, May 13, 2016

My German Homestay with a Professional Violinist

     20 years ago today I was spending a "Career Morning" with my host mom in Paderborn, Germany.  By 8:00 in the morning I was in the music room playing the violin that belonged to my host sister, Eva.  My host mom, Barbara came in at 10:00 to play duets with me.  I will never, ever forget that experience.  We could not talk to each other with words, but we could read the music and both understand the notes and phrasing.  It was powerful!

     Below is an entry I wrote for a writing contest one year later about this experience.  Enjoy:

Staying With a Professional Violinist
By Jennifer Ann Iverson
Written July of 1997

As I patiently waited in line to be given my host family’s name, a low sinking feeling came into my stomach.  This would be home stay #10 in Germany and I had been away from my American home for five months!  Sure life on the road was exciting and sure I had had some neat host families to stay with, but I certainly was exhausted!  It is tough work doing community service projects all day, performing musical shows at night, traveling for hours on a bus, and meeting  a new host family every three days!  I longed to sit down and have something familiar, something that would remind me of home.
As I drew to the front of the line I was handed a card which read, “Barbara Gabrys - a professional violinist!”  I was overjoyed!  How I had missed my dear violin from home.  Perhaps my host mom and I could play together!
When I finally met this exciting host mom/musician, I was thrown aback.  This was the right woman but she spoke NO ENGLISH!  She was from Poland and knew only Polish and German.  I knew English only, but I was determined to communicate with this intriguing person who shared my love of music.
Barbara’s beautiful home was full of pictures of her and her daughter performing on violin together.  I grabbed this opportunity to tell her I too could play.  I flailed my exhausted arms around, pointed my finger and spoke with pleading eyes.  She understood!  Oh hurrah!
Barbara went right to her music room.  I followed behind like a cat awaiting a treat.  Two violins emerged and we played duets together.  We played Telemann, Mozart, Bach, and even a little Gabrys improvisation on some German hymns.  It was amazing!  We could not communicate verbally but music was acting as the international language!  At last, I felt refreshed and revived by the power of music and its bond between peoples.
Host family book entry written by Barbara and translated from German to English by my friend, Anette:

“Dear Jennifer,  It was very refreshing for us to play music with you.  It’s a pity that we couldn’t spend more time together.  The Festival was an experience for us and I hope all people can see you and your message and can practice it.  I wish you all the best for the time with Up With People and afterwards.  Live as you have been on stage with love, happiness, spark, and power.  Lots of love, Barbara and Eva”  May 14th, 1996  

No comments:

Post a Comment