Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen

     "This is the best day ever!” Ramona shouts as she jumps through the gigantic hole on the side of her house made by construction workers who are putting a new room on the Quimbys’ home.  I love the enthusiastic way Ramona exclaims that line in the movie, Beezus and Ramona.  I have lots of “best day ever” moments that flash through my own mind…..like the day my husband proposed to me and the day I asked Jesus into my heart and the day I gave my senior recital… and the day I was a rebel in Copenhagen!  Intrigued?  Jennifer Sapp, a rebel?  Yup!  
Twenty years ago I was traveling in the Up With People organization with 150 other students from 26 different countries.  We stayed with host families, did community learning activities and performed a show about peace and understanding among nations.  We traveled in busses and usually stayed in one city for only three or four days before moving on.  Our tour included the United States and Canada for 8 months, Venezuela for 3 weeks, Sweden and Denmark for a month, Germany for a month, and Portugal for a month.  Our year began in July of 1995 and ended in July of 1996.  So, 20 years ago on May 4th, 1996 I was loving every moment of being in Europe.  During lunch breaks I’d take walks to see the sights.  On free days I took tons of photos.  I asked my host families question after question about life in Europe.  I didn’t want to miss a thing!
As a child I loved old, happy, endearing musicals.  One of my favorites was Hans Christian Andersen by MGM Pictures starring Danny Kaye.  Some of my favorite songs from the production included The Ugly Duckling, Thumbelina, and Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen.  As a girl, I imagined myself visiting Copenhagen one day.  When I learned that my cast would be in Denmark for part of our tour, my hopes of getting to Copenhagen rose.  “Wonderful Copenhagen, Wonderful Copenhagen, friendly old girl of a town!”  

So, when my host family In Slagelse, Denmark offered to drop me off in Copenhagen on the Saturday of our stay I jumped at the chance!  But, it meant I had to tell a lie to the staff.  I had to call in sick… without really being sick.  That was a very hard phone call to make.  I’d never done such a thing.  I knew plenty of people in Up With People who called in sick (and really weren’t) all the time.  For that matter, I knew plenty of people who showed up for a day in Up With People but never lifted a finger to help with anything….they’d go hang out at a park for three hours until all the work was done.  The staff never did anything about those people so I decided I was justified.  Besides, Copenhagen!?!  Seize The Day!  When would I ever have an opportunity like this again?  I was ready to fulfill a dream!
May 4th, 1996 was an overcast, rainy day in Copenhagen, Denmark.  But, to Jennifer Ann Iverson, it was a sunshiny, beautiful, glorious day!  I distinctly remember that the song, “Blue Skies” was in my head the ENTIRE DAY!  I may have even burst into song out loud a few times as I practically skipped along those cobblestone streets.  “Blue skies smiling at me.  Nothing but blue skies do I see.  Never saw the sun shining so bright.  Never saw things going so right….”
My journal from that day tells of the impressive sights I saw.  The Queens Royal Palace with guards in red and a big statue and fountain in front took my breath away.  My heart was racing as I strolled around the famous, colorful street along the harbor.  The Little Mermaid statue was lovely.  Tivoli Park was enchanting.    
All the people I met were very kind.  I asked strangers to take my picture or to help me decipher my map.  One Dane suggested I take a city train from the Little Mermaid Statue to Tivoli Gardens instead of walking that long distance a second time.  I met a jolly train conductor who seemed delighted to help me find the correct train to Tivoli.  He even rode the train and made sure I got off correctly!  Everyone spoke beautiful English and didn’t seem to mind talking to an American tourist at all.  
Other than that short train ride I walked all day.  All.  Day.  I even ate my bag lunch as I walked around.  I was a determined tourist who wanted to see it all.  But, I was also a happy girl on “Holiday” in an enchanting place fulfilling a dream.  I remember buying ice cream for myself at one point in the day and purposefully savoring the moment as I savored the treat.
I’m thankful for that day 20 years ago.  I enjoyed my own company.  I sensed that God gave me that day as a gift.  I felt peaceful and content.  I enjoyed a break from the stresses and drama of the Up With People world.  I felt refreshed by the adventure of it all.  It was a selfish day, a rebellious day, and a day worthy of being in the “best day ever!” category.  




No comments:

Post a Comment