Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Antique Snowmobile Shows!

"So, Jennifer, what did you do this weekend?"  Well, I went to my third Antique Snowmobile Show of the winter.  There isn't even snow this year and I've been to three shows!  "So, what do you do at an Antique Snowmobile Show?"  Good question!  You get up early in the morning and you get all dressed up in your snowmobile  gear (our loyalty is to Ski Doo) and you put on your warmest socks and boots because you know you're going to be on your feet a lot of the day.  Then, you drive to Santa Anna or Detroit Lakes or Waconia.  Once

you arrive, you unload your antique snowmobile somewhere on the showgrounds.  "Showgrounds?"  Yup, the showgrounds are usually a big parking lot or a section of a lake.  There is always a special feature of the show.  For example, John Deere Snowmobiles, or Sno-Jet, or Ski-Doo or Moto-ski.  All the featured sleds are in a special section.  As a participant, you

walk around and look at the snowmobiles.  Part of the fun of Antique Snowmobiles is seeing how well restored they are.  Todd is soooo happy when he sees a good restoration in which everything looks as close to original as possible - original headlights and skis, and color and seat.  Todd and his boys enjoy fixing up old snowmobiles.  I have    

been absolutely amazed at some of the things Todd and his boys have been able to restore.  It's quite a process and takes artistic creativity!  "What else do you do at a show?"  Hmmm, there is a swap meet in which people set out snowmobile parts and other odds and ends for people to buy.  There is usually a silent auction with cool things like framed advertisements from the 1960s or an embroidered T-shirt with an old Evenrude on it.  We almost always have a hot chocolate and visit with somebody!   

I have gotten to where I enjoy going to shows more than I used to.  I always bring ear plugs (those old snowmobiles are NOISY!).  I always bring a book in case I need a break while Todd is still going strong.  I look forward to the cheesy old commercials or audio songs they play for snowmobiles ("What Does a John Deere Say?"  "Putt, Putt Putt, Putt, Putt").  And, most of all, I look forward to seeing the shine in my husband's eyes as he is in his element enjoying old toys for big boys with his honey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment