Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Super Missionaries!

Katie Davis and her 13 Ugandan children
Missionary:  A person who gives her life to Christ and lives each day with a passion to tell others about Jesus' love!  I can do that!  I want to do that!  I strive to do that!  BUT, then there are people out there that are really, truly, 100% doing that.  They inspire me daily.  I want to tell you about some of them.  I just finished reading the book "Kisses From Katie" by Katie Davis who lives in Uganda, Africa.  She is a woman in her early 20s who found her joy and her passion in helping children in Uganda.  She adopted 13 girls and is helping hundreds more by feeding them, educating them, and taking care of their medical needs.  She also tells
Carey, my missionary friend in Southeast Asia
 them about Jesus.  She doesn't hold back.  She cups their sweet faces in her hands and she tells them about God's extravagant love for them.  She shares with them about how God created them and loves them and CARES about them.  She loves the people of Uganda and through her love, the people there see God's love.  Beautiful.  She has done AMAZING things in the few short years she has lived there.  Please read her book or check out her blog:  http://www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com.  Or look up information about Amazima Ministries.  Amazima means Truth in the Ugandan language and it is Katie's dream that the people learn of God's truth in their lives.... about Jesus' love! 
Pauline, my friend who grew up a missionary kid
I have never met Katie, but, after reading her book I feel like we've been friends forever.  You know who she reminds me of?  My good friend, Carey who is also doing AMAZING things as a real, live missionary.  She and her husband live in a country in Southeast Asia where they help do language surveys and create Bibles for people groups who have never had the Bible in their native tongue.  There is something so exciting about being able to support work that is helping people experience God's word in their heart language.  It reminds me of my friend Anette who speaks German as her first language, but is bringing up her children in Norway.  When I asked what they speak at home, she told me that of course it would be German, because one wants to talk to her child in the deepest closest-to-the-heart language possible.  I get that.  Carey and Nate are helping God speak to his people in their deepest closest-to-the-heart
 language possible.  Go, Carey and Nate!!!!
    Then there is my friend, Pauline who grew up in Senegal, Africa as the child of missionary parents.  But, when she talks about her childhood, she talks about how she, too was a missionary.  She has wonderful stories.  I could talk to her for hours about growing up an "M.K."  Now she is a missionary in North Dakota!  She is an ordained Lutheran pastor there.  She and her family minister to the people in Bowden and surrounding areas, including some Native American Reservations.  She has a passion for serving God's people in North Dakota, while her parents continue to minister to Africans (now in Egypt).   
Sheryl, the Kindergarten teacher at Mt. Lake Christian School
 
ME, Jennifer, short-term missionary to Ukraine
After college I worked in Mountain Lake, Minnesota at a Christian School there and got to know another super missionary, Sheryl!  Sheryl is the Kindergarten teacher at the school, but also has responsibilities in other grade-levels during the week.  She works HARD and she is fun, energetic and creative! Those kindergarteners sing and jump and dance for Jesus.  Sheryl keeps the focus on Jesus.  She loves the children that He gives her each year in her classroom.  She prays for them and ministers to them.  She is making a difference in the lives of those kids and she is expanding the "Kingdom" too.  Sheryl taught me so much about teaching.  She taught me that teaching is truly a ministry.  Oh, how I miss daily praying with my second graders and singing about Jesus with them, and sharing thoughts about Bible stories.  I miss my Christian school, but I also know God is using me in Becker Public Schools too.  I can still pray for my students.  And, I can see some of them at church and Wednesday night Awana.   
Pastor Rob, shepherd to MANY!
Sometimes I get to be the guest speaker at Awana.  I love going to school the next day and having students say things to me in the hallway like, "You sang about Jesus last night!"  They are making a connection between their faith in Jesus and a teacher they see in the hallway.  Jesus is everywhere and all the time and He is fun!
    The last picture is of our pastor.  My husband and I have both loved our pastor for years and years.  We loved Pastor Rob before we even knew each other.  Pastor Rob has been there for us, guiding us, praying for us, and helping us along the tough things in life.  He has encouraged us and cheered us on.  He has shared his wisdom with us and been such a light to us both.  Truly, Pastor Rob is a missionary in Becker.  Truly, we are blessed to be part of his flock. 
    So, with that said..... what is a missionary?  A person who gives her life to Christ and lives each day with a passion to tell others about Jesus' love!  I can do that!  I want to do that!  God, give me the strength to be a missionary right here where I am planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment