Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Kimberly

David, Patty, Jennifer, Kimberly (around 1982)

Kimberly and Jennifer (around 1979)


David, Patty, Jennifer, Kimberly (around 1988)
Kimberly came to visit me at college (1998)

     I have two older sisters and one younger brother.  We are each three years apart.  Kimberly and I are the middle children.  We grew up with our bedrooms right next door to each other and we shared many experiences together.  We both loved Christmas time and enjoyed decorating the tree together.  On Christmas morning, we both eagerly anticipated that seventh bong of the grandfather clock when we could race to our stockings and open them up.  Mine always had an apple in the toe and Kimberly's always had an orange.  Santa knew our favorites.  We both practiced our musical instruments diligently each day in our family's music room.  Sometimes we played piano duets (or trios with David).  We watched Disney movies and favorite TV shows together of "Little House on the Prairie," "Avonlea," "Perfect Strangers," "Full House," and "Cosby Show."  We lay on our tummies together on the living room floor and watched the fish swim around in our awesome fish tank that was an eight foot tall cylinder.  And, we sometimes played games on our computer together (Kimberly was always so good at technology).  Good memories of childhood.  
     I always admired Kimberly's abilities as a student.  I struggled in school (especially math and science) and Kimberly thrived in all subject areas.  I will forever be grateful for the time Kimberly spent helping me learn my Spanish the summer of 1997.  For two and a half months, I attended my Spanish classes from 8 to 3 at U of M in Morris and then came home and Kimberly was my tutor in the afternoons and evenings.  She was an excellent teacher.  She was so patient with me.  She knew how to build upon what I had mastered to help me move forward in my skills.  I look back on that time together very fondly.
    I have also always admired Kimberly's ability on the cello.  She has a very musical touch.  It is inspiring to listen to her play.  She can read music AND play by ear.  Sometimes Kimberly plays her cello during worship time at her church and she has to make up her own part.  A person would never guess she is making it up as she goes!  I have enjoyed playing string quartet music together when my siblings and I get together.  We are the "Iverson String Quartet," but have only performed a couple of times.  Kimberly majored in Music Education at St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN.
    My siblings and I grew up being fascinated by other cultures.  
After graduation Patty lived in Japan, I traveled with Up With People, David moved to the mountains of Tennessee, and Kimberly?  She did a two year mission trip to Papua, New Guinea and later a two year mission trip to Thailand!  She was very adventurous and I have always admired that.  In Papua, New Guinea she was a teacher for the missionary children there.  She sent home to us postcards made of bark, and shoulder bags called Bilums made of colorful yarn.  She told stories of talking in a language called Pigeon that seemed to be a mishmash of English baby talk and other languages.  Her photographs were fascinating.  Later, in Thailand, she studied the music of different people groups.  She was doing a project to complete her degree in Ethnomusicology.  Again, her photographs were amazing.  She gave me a doll wearing a beautiful blue Thai outfit, playing a traditional Thai musical instrument.  Kimberly always did understand my love of dolls.  
     I've mentioned Kimberly's photographs a couple times.  Kimberly is very good at taking pictures.  At times when I would never think to take a picture, she has already taken ten!  She knows how to frame the subject and use the best lighting.  My grandpa and my dad were both great photographers and I think she takes after them.  She inspires me to take more pictures!
    In 2010 Kimberly married her husband, David.  They had a lovely wedding on the campus of St. Olaf in Northfield and then settled down to live in Northfield.  They now have two darling children named Kit and Tia.  I have enjoyed watching Kimberly become a devoted mother.  Her children simply adore her.  Once when Kimberly had to be away from home for a few hours and my mom was babysitting, Mom said to Kit, "Pretty soon your mom will be home and then..."  Kit interrupted and said, "And then the kids will be happy!"  So cute!  Both children are smiley and loving and smart.  Kimberly and David are doing a great job with them.                
At Kimberly's lovely wedding (2010)

The Iverson String Quartet (Thanksgiving 2012)

Kimberly's beautiful family (2014)
Kimberly with daughter, Tia (visiting Walnut Grove in 2014)





No comments:

Post a Comment