Saturday, January 17, 2015

Patty







Patty's Bridal Shower in 1994
     Patty and I are six years apart, but we have been asked more times than I can remember if we are twins!  I always take that as a compliment.  Patty is one of the most refreshing, positive, fun-loving, adventurous people I know.  She inspires me on a daily basis and I'm so glad God made us sisters!
     My earliest memories of Patty are of her doing gymnastics tricks, practicing her violin, and having fun birthday parties with her friends.  My elementary school didn't have enough room for the fifth and sixth graders, so for those two years we were at the high school.  Patty was in high school at the same time so we sometimes saw each other in the hallways.  This was also the age where Patty and I could share clothes.  Patty had the most adorable pair of bright pink overalls that I loved to wear.  But, I had to be careful not to wear them too close to when Patty had worn them, or our orchestra director would make comments like, "Didn't I just see your sister in those overalls?"  Ha!
     Patty graduated from high school and then became a foreign exchange student in Japan through The Rotary Club.  It was fascinating reading the long letters she wrote to us about her experiences.  When she returned home a year later, she spoke fluent Japanese.  That experience changed her life.  She went on to major in Japanese and Music at college.  She returned to Japan to be a nanny and later to teach English.  I think Japan will always be her second home.
     Patty and Andy were married in 1994.  They had known each other since sixth grade.  Madison, Wisconsin was home to the newlyweds for a while before moving to Japan together.  Patty taught English and Andy did some tutoring.  Their first son, Drew was born in Japan.  He was a very popular baby.  Everyone wanted to get a look at him!  I didn't get to meet my nephew until he was about six months old.  He was a cutie pie, that's for sure!  Three years later, Benjamin was born.  Few things have given me more pleasure than being Aunt Jen to Drew and Benjamin!   

Patty, Andy, Drew and Benjamin around 2004
     Patty is a dedicated, creative, fun mom to her two boys.  As they were growing up, she worked hard to make sure they were learning new things and enjoying life to the fullest.  One summer I got to go along on a road trip to Colorado Springs, Colorado with Patty, Drew, and Ben.  Andy had to work.  We catered the whole two weeks to doing activities the boys would enjoy.  We listened to Laurie Berkner music as we drove.  We went to children's museums, zoos, water parks, and playgrounds.  We even took a train ride!  
     But, the coolest trip Patty took her boys on was to Kesennuma, Miyagi in Japan.  They lived there for two years.  Patty taught English while Drew and Benjamin attended school (in Japanese).  They had Japanese friends and ate Japanese foods.  Andy would fly over for visits as often as he could and they would do sightseeing together.  It was a wonderful experience for all of them.  I even planned to go visit them in Japan over my spring break.  
     Unfortunately, their adventure ended in a very stressful way.  Patty and the boys were in the tsunami and earthquake that happened in March of 2011.  It was a very hard time for all of us as we waited to see if they were okay.  I have written an entire blog post about it all from my perspective.  To read it click below:  http://journalingjennifer.blogspot.com/2011/04/for-love-of-japan.html      
Benjamin and Drew in Japan in 2009

Mount Fuji in Japan in 2009
     Patty continues to be a wonderful mom.  Drew and Ben are older now, but she strives to stay connected.  They are involved in athletics, music, and drama.  The whole family has taken up golfing as a new hobby.
     I admire Patty's abilities as a mom.  I also admire something she did to help another family experience the joys of parenthood.  Patty was a surrogate mother twice.  She carried a baby boy and a baby girl for another couple who could not have children of their own.  What a gift!  I'm proud of my sister.
     Patty is a hard worker.  She studied violin in college and became extremely proficient.  She studies Japanese on a regular basis and prepares for exams.  She has taught both violin and Japanese.  She is currently a substitute teacher, and an excellent one at that!  Patty has done many interesting things in her life, and she does each one very well.  Patty inspires me to be a hard worker too.         

Violinists:  Patty, Mom, and me
Thanksgiving 2013
     Patty's newest adventure has turned out to be a dream job for her.  She is a tour guide for Japanese students who participate in Kakehashi Tours.  Each tour lasts 10 days and visits 3 United States cities.  Patty travels with them, enlightening them with information about each place.  She translates for them and enhances their experience with her personality and style.  She's an expert!
Leading a Kakehashi Tour in 2013


Patty and Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment