Saturday, January 10, 2015

My Terrific Dad!


Dad attending one of my recitals (2003)
     I will forever be grateful to my dad for the many things he taught me and all the ways he provided for me in my growing up years.  He has always been an inspiration to me.    
    Dad always supported me and my siblings in our music.  He and Mom came to every concert and recital that they possibly could.  I like to say that they are my "biggest fans!"  My siblings and I each took private piano lessons and private string lessons (violin, cello, viola) plus David took trombone and I took voice.  That's a big expense, but Mom and Dad made our music a priority.  Practicing our instruments was a priority too.  It was considered our "chores" and if we missed one day of practicing, we had to do double the next day.  This helped me learn how to be a hard worker.  I am very grateful Mom and Dad expected us to practice.  They gave us the gift of music.  That is a gift we can enjoy the rest of our lives.
     My dad has always been a hard worker himself.  While I was growing up, he was an elementary music teacher, editor of a music journal that went to all the music teachers in Minnesota, landlord for many apartment complexes, and choir director of the Methodist Church Choir.  In the summers he taught Keyboarding at summer school too!  Now that he is retired from those things, he works for Allied Concert Services.  He helps communities in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Montana bring live concert performances to their towns.  It's a huge job, but Dad thrives in it.           
Dad was Grand Marshall of the Vikingland Band Festival in Alexandria.


     I knew I wanted to become a teacher when I was in about eighth grade.  Part of what fostered that was the fact that my Dad was a music teacher.  I enjoyed helping Dad put up his bulletin boards each fall.  In the photo below you see a bulletin board that I put up using pictures that Grandma had made years prior.  Grandma was a first grade teacher and Grandpa was a math teacher, music teacher, and superintendent of schools.  I have always been proud to be from a line of educators in my family.  What an inspiring heritage!        
Dad's mom and me in Dad's music classroom (1993)


    My dad is a good conversationalist.  In fact, he is a master at it!  He can talk to anyone... and he does!  He has had fascinating conversations with people on airplanes, standing in line, attending conventions, sharing a meal, etc.  He asks great questions and is extremely knowledgeable.  He loves to learn from people and that inspires me.  I once heard that the definition of an extrovert was someone who got energy from being around others.  That would be an accurate description of my dad!         
Dad and Mom at my wedding in 2008
     Dad loves travel.  As a young man he and a buddy took two scooters and drove around the perimeter of the United States.  After that successful adventure, Dad scootered around the world!  He saw some amazing sights and met some interesting people.  He collected instruments from all over the world and shipped them home.  As a child, I was fascinated by his stories and by the international instruments we had displayed in our home.  He inspired in me a desire to see more of the world.  
     Dad and Mom took us kids on some wonderful family vacations.  The trips always included visits to as many national parks as possible.  This developed in us an appreciation for the natural beauty all around us.  Dad grew up in Montana and North Dakota, and I always enjoyed hearing him expound upon the joys of the big, open sky and the freedom of the wide open spaces.  
Dad drove us away in his Saab convertible


     Dad appreciates art.  He and Mom have some very unique pieces of art in their home.  Dad has a good eye for lighting, technique and artistry.  He could have been an interior decorator.  He can visualize a space and bring it alive with just the right piece.  I'm not surprised that when looking for a home for himself and his new bride over forty five years ago that he chose one designed by an architect.  Their home was designed by the same architect who created Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis and St. John's Abbey at the University of St. John's.  Some day I plan to write a blog post about the house.  
     The four of us kids all attended college (thanks to Dad and Mom) and are grown and married now.  We all appreciate Dad and Mom and all they did for us as we were growing up.  Now there are six grandchildren who enjoy coming to visit Grandma and Grandpa's house.  New memories are being made.  And, I'm thankful.              
Dad with two of his grandkids, Kit and Tia (2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment