Thursday, January 22, 2015

Sheryl


Celebrating my birthday in 2001 or 2002
Today is Sheryl's birthday!  Happy Birthday, Sheryl!!!

Spending the Day at Lake Carlos State Park

 Katelyn, Anthony, and Jeremiah


My wedding day in 2008


The happy couple:  Sheryl and Rod

Going for a hike together
     I graduated from college in May of 2000 and then was hired to teach second grade at Mountain Lake Christian School.  I lived and worked in Mountain Lake, MN for three years.  The best thing about Mountain Lake?  Definitely my friend, Sheryl!  I knew right off the bat (at the interview) that if I got the job,  Sheryl would be my friend.  I just knew we'd be Kindred Spirit friends!  And, I was right.  Friendship was part of God's plan!  
     Sheryl is the Kindergarten teacher at Mt. Lake Christian School.  She loves her job and loves her students.  She was a mentor to me as I began my teaching career.  Sheryl is enthusiastic, dedicated and a complete natural with kids.  Her students are blessed to have her.  She loves the Lord and teaches her students what that looks like.  They sing songs and memorize scripture and learn Bible stories.  They pray together and learn that God is everywhere and cares about everything.  Sheryl's classroom is refreshing and joyful.  I will forever be grateful for my years of teaching just down the hallway from this excellent teacher.  Sheryl inspires me daily to be the best teacher I can be and to love my kids with God's unfailing love!
     When not at school, I was often at Sheryl's house.  I enjoyed playing with her daughter, Katelyn (who was only about three years old at the time).  Katelyn has two older brothers (Mitch was a third grader and Jay was a fifth grader when I moved to Mt. Lake). In addition, Rod and Sheryl did foster care for two sweet toddlers (Anthony and Jeremiah).  It was a busy house but I enjoyed helping with all the kids.  Monday nights were usually my night to come over after school and keep the kids busy while Sheryl made supper.  Good memories.  
     Whenever Sheryl and I get together there is a lot of giggling!  We just have fun together.  We think alike.  We like to buy matching things like hats or socks and then think of each other when we wear them.  Last year, for our birthdays, we both bought each other the same thing (Penny and Her Song with the doll, Penny) without either of us knowing it.  Present opening time was hilarious!  We just think alike.  We understand each other and have a similar sense of humor.
     Sheryl and I both love to sing.  We led "Singspiration" together at school each week from 2000 to 2003.  We led worship songs at Sheryl's church on many Sundays.  We sang songs together just for fun too.  Sheryl inspires me to always have a song in my heart and a word of praise ready for my God.       
Sheryl and Katelyn (2012)
The convertible ride with Rod and Todd (ha ha)
     When we get together we talk and talk and talk...or we look at photo albums, watch movies, play games, or go for walks.  Sometimes we even get Rod to take us out in the convertible.  One time, Todd wasn't able to be there, so we made a paper sign with a drawing of his head on it so he could go for a ride too.  I still smile when I think of that memory.  Fun!
     Sheryl is my sister in Christ and I will forever be grateful to God for bringing us together.  Nothing is so sweet as praying together with a sister in Christ.  Nothing is so comforting as being there for each other in the hard times (like when Sheryl got cancer) and the good times (like when I got married).  It's good to do life together, even if we are three and a half hours apart.  Sheryl inspires me to be the best me I can be.  She encourages me to shine for Jesus and love the life He has given me.           

Penny and Her Song

To learn more about "The 31 Days of Friends and Family Who Inspire Me" project click here:
http://journalingjennifer.blogspot.com/2014/12/intro-to-31-days-of-friends-and-family.html

No comments:

Post a Comment