Thursday, January 29, 2015

Translator Julia

Julia and Jennifer
Trying out some handmade hats!

Sharing a song at Vacation Bible School
Julia and Jennifer in Vatutino
Translating at the church service
Julia's family in Cherkassy, Ukraine 
     I met Julia in 2005 when three friends and I were sent as a mission team by our church in Becker to visit our sister church in Vatutino, Ukraine.  We led Vacation Bible School, shared music and testimonies at church services, and cultivated relationships with the congregation there.  I have written an entire blog about my experience.  To read it, click here: 
http://journalingjennifer.blogspot.com/2011/08/ukraine-mission-trip-2005.html
     Julia was one of three translators who brought the experience alive for the four of us Americans.  All three translators were with us for church events and Vacation Bible School during the day.  But, Julia was with us 24/7.  She stayed with us at our host family's home, ate meals with us, rode in the car with us, and visited people's homes with us.  Without her, our experience would never have been as deep and rich and rewarding.  She touched our hearts because of her skills as a translator, but also because of her wonderful personality, her positive perception of things, and her heart for the Lord.  Julia was my friend, and thanks to email and Facebook, she still is my friend and I treasure her.
     Having never had the unique experience of working with a translator before, I didn't know what to expect.  Most of the time Julia would listen to a whole story or concept and then translate it all at once (rather than translate line by line).  It was delightful observing her re-tell one of our funny stories and then watching the reaction of the Ukrainians when she arrived at the funny part.  
     Before arriving in Ukraine, I had typed up my testimony to share with the church congregation.  Julia studied it the night before the service so she would be prepared to translate.  She used her Bible for direct translations when Bible verses were involved.  During the church service, she and the other translators would sit behind us and whisper to us what the main concepts were.  It was quite an amazing, unique experience.
     While preparing to write this blog post, I went back to my journals from my 2005 Ukraine trip.  Over and over I expressed how thankful I was for Julia...how much I appreciated her insights and her words and her skills...how her friendship encouraged me at times when I felt overwhelmed and unsure of myself...how I knew God had brought her all the way from Cherkassy to Vatutino just to be there with us (even though her family missed her back home)...how my eyes and heart were opened to the Ukrainian people because of this amazing young lady!  I continue to be overwhelmed with gratitude.  She inspires me in so many ways!        
     I'm sure it is clear that we loved having Julia for our translator.  But, the other wonderful thing is that Julia enjoyed translating too.  For this blog, I asked her to write down what she enjoys about being a translator.  These are her words, so enjoy: 
      "Interpreting gives me useful experience of all kinds. It gives me lots of experience in my teaching occupation, develops stage presence, it develops  acting skills, communication with people. When interpreting various people you learn from them various skills. You can learn management as well as good logical teaching. You find out about different cultures which is exciting as you then can apply some things to your life. Working with different people widens my horizon as I learn new ways of cooking, making crafts, sharing fun things and ideas. I saw the hospital system changing in my town because a team of Ukrainian doctors took trips to the UK and learned valuable experience from British colleagues. When I interpet for Pastors I love translating sermons as I get inspired by their preaching. I believe God shaped me into a Christian the way I am using this precious experience of working with Godly believers such as people from Becker Church, like Jennifer and the  team who came over to a little place in Ukraine called Vattuino. I guess they don't even realize how much each one of them influenced my life. I'm so grateful to God for every trip I had in my life, for every change provoked by those trips. Once I had a phone call from the interpreter's coordinator pleading me to go to Vatutino instead of staying in Cherkassy  (which was much more convinient for me as for the wife and the mother). I hesitated for a monent. And then decided to agree. It was a brilliant decision as I found good friends both American and Ukrainian. The Ukrainian Pastor and his wife became a Christian example to me as well as my American friends.  Many years passed but it seems like it was just yesterday."

     Julia is a teacher in addition to being a translator.  When not teaching or translating, Julia is often planning or preparing for a themed party or fun event.  She is extremely talented and creative.  Recently she has done a fishing party for her husband's birthday, a CARS party for her son's birthday, a lemon party for some girlfriends, and a spa party for her own birthday celebration.  She creates a festive environment, makes delicious food and desserts, and decorates with taste and fun.  I love looking at photos of all her events.  So, to end the blog, I'll post some photos of her creativity for you to enjoy.  









To learn more about the "31 Days of Friends and Family Who Inspire Me" project, click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment