Sunday, January 25, 2015

Becca

Friends: Becca and Shawrene
     Becca and I were introduced to each other back in 1997 through our mutual friend, Amy.  It didn't take long to see that we were kindred spirits and sisters in Christ.  Becca and Amy (and Jess and Carey) were roommates after college and I visited them often.  The five of us still continue to get together.  Our friend, Shawrene has joined the group too.  There's nothing like spending time with Christian friends to encourage one's soul and lift one's spirits.  I'm so thankful for these ladies!  Becca is a good listener and has a caring heart.  She is wise and strong.  God has gifted her with a big, compassionate heart that is accepting and giving.  She inspires me daily to remember who I am in Christ and to love others with His love.  She and her husband have a beautiful story of how God blessed them with children.  Becca was willing to write down their story for this blog.  I know you will be blessed by it.  So, please, scroll through a few photos and then sit back and be inspired by how God was and is at work!
       
The happy couple: Becca and Keith
Visiting Good Earth: Carey, Jess, Becca, Amy, Jen

Time for Tea: Jess, Becca, Amy, Jen, Shawrene
"I have seen God at work in my life in multiple ways, the most dramatic in my husband's and my journey to becoming parents.  For so long, we tried to get pregnant, and couldn't.  Then, we had two miscarriages in nine months.  We were contemplating whether we would continue to try to get pregnant, or revisit the idea of adopting from foster care.  These children are often older than six years old, sometimes in sibling groups, and always the victims of some combination of child abuse, abandonment, and/or neglect.  We agreed to try one more month, and if we weren't pregnant, I would call the adoption agency and move forward with adopting."

"I woke up early one Sunday morning, wanting, needing to know if we were expecting or not.  I would find out Wednesday, naturally, but I could not wait. 'God, please forgive my impatience.  I need to know which wayYou are leading.'  I took a pregnancy test, and it was negative.  I'd been down this path before, many times.  However, this time, the door towards parenthood felt wide open, rather than closed.  I told my husband before church that I was to call the adoption agency in the morning."

"At church that morning, we had our monthly 'Missions Moment,' which highlighted a missionary or ministry supported by our church.  My jaw dropped to the floor as they talked about 'Adopt a Teen.'  The ministry itself is more of a sponsorship, rather than 'adoption' in our sense.  But, I knew that God was speaking to us, guiding us, letting us know that this was the path we were to travel."

"Our kids moved in with us in April, 2012.  Angel was nine and half years old and Anthony was twelve.  In some ways, it seems like we have been a family forever, and in other ways, we feel so new to this parenting gig!  Our kids, just as any others, grow up way too quickly.  My son is now the tallest member of the family.  'Little moments,' such as swim team and gymnastics meets, 'Student of the Month' awards, and Boy Scout award ceremonies take on such a bigger meaning when we know that there are fewer of them to share and cherish."

"I don't want to lie and give the image that our life as an adopted family is all a sweet Disney movie.  It is not.  Think new parent jitters, blended family arguments, and teenage hormones, literally overnight, and all in one package!  But, we know that God is in this.  He guided our paths to each other at just the right time, and confirmed it in so many beautiful ways."

"My son loves to read, just as I do.  He has a teach-savvy way of thinking, just like his information technology dad (my husband), and if he sees an opportunity to help someone, he will serve.  Have  I mentioned my husband's spiritual gift of service?  My daughter isn't so into books, just like her dad, but loves learning through videos, and is social to the core, just like me.  She has a gracefulness about her that rivals none...well, thankfully some things come through 'nature' rather than 'nurture.'  The most important thing about us is that, individually, and as a family, we all serve the Lord Jesus Christ.  We are far from perfect, but know that the Lord is good.  His timing is good, and we give Him the glory."

"I have several favorite verses that have followed me throughout my life.  John 3:16 ("For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.") and Jeremiah 29:11("For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."), which happen to be the verses that my kids shared with us the first time we spoke to them!  Other verses that are special to me are 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 ("Therefore we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.") and James 1:27 ("Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.")."

"As for words of wisdom that are helpful, I like this one, heard on a Christian radio talk show:  'Always do your best as a parent, but be sure to save some content for your kid's therapy sessions.'  I love it!  We don't have to be perfect in our parenting, in our relationship with our spouse, as an employee, and certainly not as a Christian."

"If you are interested in learning more about adoption from foster care, www.mnadopt.org is a good place to start.  Feel free to ask me any questions.  Jen can give you my email address.  We had a great experience through Children's Home Society's Waiting Children Program.  http://www.chsfs.org/"

The happy family:  Dad Angel, Anthony, Mom

Becca's kids:  Angel and Anthony

To learn more about the "31 Days of Friends and Family Who Inspire Me" project, click here:
http://journalingjennifer.blogspot.com/2014/12/intro-to-31-days-of-friends-and-family.html





No comments:

Post a Comment