Friday, January 9, 2015

Terri

Terri with her Sunday School students
     Terri is a great example of someone who is dedicated to her God and to her church.  She is the church secretary, she teaches beginner's Sunday school, and she works with middle school girls at youth group!  She is also my neighbor and my friend.  
     Every time I call my church on the phone and Terri answers, I think to myself, Terri was made for this position!  She has a friendly voice and is helpful and organized.  She is the first person people see when they come in needing assistance.  She is accepting and nonjudgmental and I appreciate her so much!  But, being a secretary is more than answering phones and greeting people.  It's a ministry all it's own.  Terri writes, "I am in a unique position of seeing a lot that is going on in the church 'behind the scenes' that others may not know about but for which I can pray, especially if it's a confidential matter - I can pray for the situation or people without anyone but God hearing about it from me."  And, Terri is a prayer warrior.  I've asked her to pray for me and my many prayer requests and she is always faithful to pray.
     I am on the list of substitute Sunday School teachers at church.  One Sunday this fall I had the opportunity to teach the beginner's class that Terri usually teaches.  It was an enjoyable hour, but a very busy one!  Terri writes, "I love that age...most start out a bit apprehensive, not knowing what Sunday School is all about, but by the end of the first year they are very much engaged."  Terri has her students two years in a row because pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten are in the same class.  She enjoys using a curriculum that is very interactive.  She writes, "I think it is perfect for that age with their short attention spans and eagerness to try new things."  Terri's eyes sparkle when she tells about teaching Sunday School.  God has gifted her with energy, patience, and love for His kiddos.
     When I was in junior high, I had an adult mentor (Lynn) who led my small group time.  I always looked up to her and appreciated her.  Terri is just such a mentor to a small group of middle school girls.  One of Terri's favorite verses is 2 Corinthians 5:17:  "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come; the old has gone, the new is here!"  What a great message for all of us.  I'm glad those girls have Terri to help them learn such a life-changing message.  Terri writes, "God is the God of second (or another) chance(s).  He alone can make things new."
     In addition to our faith, Terri and I have something else in common.  We both married our wonderful husbands later in life.  We both learned how to love our teenage stepchildren and then watch them grow up and leave home to make lives for themselves.  We have both learned how to see and appreciate God's faithfulness in our lives during all the ups and downs that come our way.  One of Terri's favorite verses is Lamentations 3:22-23 which says, "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."  
     Terri inspires me to see God at work all around me and to be aware of His faithfulness in my life.  She inspires me to have a servant heart as I teach my kiddos.  And, she reminds me that God can make all situations new and fresh because of His deep love for all of us.  I'm glad God gave us friendship.  Be blessed today!         
Terri and Greg
If you would like to learn more about the "31 Days of Friends and Family Who Inspire Me" project, just click on the following link:  http://journalingjennifer.blogspot.com/2014/12/intro-to-31-days-of-friends-and-family.html

No comments:

Post a Comment