Monday, January 12, 2015

David

Childhood playmates (1983)

     My siblings and I are each three years apart: Patty, Kimberly, me, and then David.  David and I were playmates.  We played with Strawberry Shortcakes, dolls, and stuffed animals.  We used the Monopoly board for a magical land that our Get Along Gang figurines lived on.  We played dress up with old dresses and shawls.  When we played cars it was as if we were playing dolls because the cars all had personalities!  We played board games.  We went to the park together.  Part of what made my childhood so special was having David as a playmate.  I'm glad he was such a good sport!
     My brother and I were creative.  We even made up our own fitness routine called Fancy Fitness.  You can read about it at:  http://journalingjennifer.blogspot.com/2011/08/fancy-fitness.html   
     As David and I grew older, we both became very busy with school and our various activities.  We both diligently practiced our musical instruments.  David played piano, viola, and trombone and had a wonderful singing voice.  Sometimes David and I played duets together or sang together with Mom playing piano accompaniment.  Together with our older sisters we are "The Iverson String Quartet."  One summer David got to be the director of the pit orchestra for a musical production put on by Glenwood Community Theater.  I played violin under his direction.  He did an excellent job and we were all so proud of him!  David also provided music once a week for a nursing home in Alexandria during his senior year of high school.  When I was home from college I would join him for a song or too.  He was good at sharing his music with others.  I've always admired David's talent and his generosity in sharing his talents with others.  
     David majored in Music at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota.  After graduation, he was a band director for three years.  But, soon it became clear to him that he was meant to have a career in math.  He switched careers and became an actuary.      
     Actuaries have to be very good at math.  David is perfect for the job!  Some of my earliest memories of homework were of Mom helping me learn my math facts and David (still a preschooler) shouting out the answers from across the room.  He just thinks in mathematical terms!  He talks about percentages and ratios without batting an eye.  He can figure things out in his head that would take most people hours (with pencil, paper and calculator).  God has gifted him, that's for sure.  So, now David works for Traveler's Insurance in St. Paul as an actuary.  He's a dedicated, hard worker.  I'm proud of him.  He inspires me to work hard in my career as a teacher.  He also inspires me to try to make math fun and exciting for my students.    
     David met his wife Julia while he was singing in the Men's Chorus at St. Olaf College.  She played oboe for one of the pieces.  That's where the magic all began.  They were married in 2003.  They now live in North St. Paul and have two beautiful daughters, Anna and Naomi.  David is a fabulous dad.  He spends quality time with his girls and loves them unconditionally.  He is patient and fun.  Anna loves to dance with her daddy around the living room and Naomi always wants to be held by him.  Maybe all those years of playing girly things with me when we were little has helped prepare David to be a daddy to his girls?  He's a natural!
     David is a kind, good person.  He's a man of integrity who loves the Lord and serves Him with his life.  David is intelligent and clever.  He has a good sense of humor and a giving heart.  He accepts people and cares about their lives.  He is pleasant to be around.  There are so many things I admire about David!  I'm so thankful to be able to call him my brother.  
The Iverson String Quartet (1997)
David and Julia (2008)

David with Anna and Naomi (2014)
Brother and Sister (Thanksgiving 2014)


No comments:

Post a Comment