Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Shawrene

Shawrene and Greg
     I was introduced to Shawrene through our friend, Becca, (whom I shared a blog about on Sunday).  I'm so glad Becca invited Shawrene to join our group of girlfriends because in no time at all it felt like we had known Shawrene for years and years.  She has that way about her...making you feel welcome and loved and accepted and cared for.  Shawrene and I quickly found we had much in common!  For example: We're crazy about our nieces and nephews, we were brought up on Disney musicals, we took ballet in high school, Christy Nockels is one of our favorite Christian singers, we've both led children's choirs at church, we are called to work with kids, and we both had our honeymoons in Banff, Canada with husbands whom we adore!  Most importantly, we both love the Lord!  At the end of the blog you can read Shawrene's words about how she has been growing closer to God. She shares some meaningful Bible verses too.  Enjoy!
    Shawrene is an early childhood educator and an amazing one at that!  Early childhood education is so very important.  Shawrene gets to work side by side with her own mom.  I think that would be wonderful!  I've asked Shawrene to share with us what she enjoys about working with young children and working with her mom.  Enjoy!   

1.  What do you like about working with young children?


I have always wanted to be a teacher.  Even as a little girl I would line up my dolls (occasionally adding my little brother) and play school.  I especially love the age I am working with (four and five year olds) because the world is just opening up to them.   I love that at this age everything is new and exciting.  The sky is the limit and they are invincible.  I love that they are open and honest; they say what they are thinking.  They love to give hugs and high fives. I love listening to their stories (which are often elaborate), and sharing with them the treasures they bring in to show me each day.  They are so full of energy; I love having spontaneous dance parties, playing tag on the playground, and teaching creative movement classes with them. I love seeing their faces when they learn something new, or accomplish a task they had been struggling with previously.  I love that they are excited about learning new things, which makes me always look for ways to make learning fun and engaging. 

Out for tea together
2. What do you like about working with your mom?

My momma and I are the third generation of mothers and daughters to work together in my family.  My grandmother worked with my great-grandmother baking and selling bread in a small bakery, my mother worked with her mother in a hospital, and now I have the privilege of working with my mother teaching pre-kindergarten.  Not many people can say they worked with their mentor, greatest teacher and best friend and it happens to be their mother. She has been in the early childcare field for 44 years and about half of that has been with me.  We even went to school and graduated together.  We complete each other as teachers; we each have our specialties in the classroom, and depend on the other’s teaching skills.   A few years ago I won a national teaching award and have often felt she should have won it with me. I am the teacher I am, because she mentored me and was an excellent model of an effective teacher.  

3. How is teaching rewarding? 

Being a teacher is not just a job it is a passion and a responsibility. It is rewarding to see a student that was struggling with a new skill like cutting succeed in a cutting project, or learning to write, recognizing letters and the sounds they make, and then all of a sudden they are beginning to read basic books and write simple words. It is rewarding to see a child scribbling pictures or building simple creations with blocks and lego creations at the beginning of the year, and as the year progresses they become proficient creating drawings and creations with legos and three-dimensional blocks as the school year progresses.  
It is not just about learning 123’s and abc’s; it is also leaning to care for and help each other, learning how to work together and share ideas.    It is rewarding to watch the children discover ways to work through a conflict with minimal or no help from me.  It is delightful to hear them excitedly share how they worked through the conflict all by themselves.  The huge smiles on their faces and the light shining in their eyes because they did it!  They accomplished something they were having a difficult time mastering, whether it is a cognitive or social-emotional skill! 

It is so rewarding to have parents come back over the years and share with me the things their children say they remember about being in my classroom and the things they are accomplishing in school.


The girls in 2014

4. What are some favorite verses or words to live by?

There are several verses over the years I have loved but none not that I could point to specifically and say these are making a difference in my life. I feel inadequate as a Christian and sometimes feel like I am tossed like a wave, which is not what the Lord desires of His Children.  For the past year and a half we have been in job and home transition.   This journey has been incredibly difficult to bear at times.  Feelings of despair, loneliness are at times overwhelming.  But yet, He has never left me, or my family.  He is holding tight.  I see this in friends at New Life Church who continually reach out to us, songs that come on the radio at “just the right time”, words spoken from the pulpit when we need it most, and family and friends who hug us and let us cry on their shoulders.  And just as a realized today in answering this question, words spoken by my gracious Heavenly Father in his Holy Word, when put together are a healing balm to my spirit and lift me up on eagle’s wings.  How could I ever doubt now! 

I am just sharing the parts of the verses that speak to me; however, it is important to read the verses before and after to get the whole message when studying God’s Word.  So here we go…..

Romans 5: 1-6, specifically 3-5, (Not only so, but we also rejoice in our suffering because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our heart by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. )  God is doing something in me through our difficulties and I need to trust that.

Ephesians 1:17-23, specifically 17-20 (I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that you may know him better.  I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparable great power for us who believe.  That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him for the dead and seated him at his right had in the heavenly realms.) Through this I pray I will truly know Him, and discover what it is He has for me, and my family, according to these verses.
  
Philippians 4:4-7 (Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident t all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. ) It is so easy for me to become anxious; this is a reminder to be thankful and rejoice and to know His peace. 

Philippians 4:11-13, specifically 12-13 (I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength.)  I confess I am not at this place but I desire to learn contentment not in my circumstances but in Christ. 

Colossians 3: 23-24 (Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving.) While we are in this waiting room I pray that I will work for the Lord because He is the one I am serving. 

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 (Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.) I pray I live a life that is quiet and focused during this time and to work to be independent.

1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 (Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.) This verse speaks to me the most right now and puts it all together for me.
In a nutshell, this is what my focus should be now and always! 




Shawrene with her nieces and nephews
To find out more about the "31 Days of Friends and Family Who Inspire Me" project, click here:
http://journalingjennifer.blogspot.com/2014/12/intro-to-31-days-of-friends-and-family.html



No comments:

Post a Comment