Friday, January 23, 2015

Becky

Teaching Sunday School in 2007

Becky and Steve in 2013
Becky is a beautiful woman of God whom I have known for about ten years.  Becky and I attend the same church and work at the same school.  Becky is a prayer warrior, so I know I can count on her to lift me and my loved ones up in prayer when needed.  We have attended Bible Studies together and taught Sunday School together.  Actually, Becky taught and I was her helper, but it was fun to work together!  Becky is an interventionist at the primary school.  She works with kindergarteners, first graders, and second graders on their reading skills.  Before becoming an interventionist, Becky stayed at home with her kids and did some daycare.  She and Steve (who has a second grade classroom right next door to mine) have two great kids, Jonah and Kylie.  
     I had the privilege of having Kylie in my second grade class years ago.  She was a delightful student.  She also had the sweetest singing voice!  Sometimes I would help her and other girls prepare songs for special music at church.  When it was time for Todd and I to pick the music for our wedding, one of the songs we chose was "Put On Love."  I sang "Put On Love" at my aunt's wedding when I was about 8 years old.  We asked Kylie and another one of my former students (Emily) to sing it for the wedding.  They did an absolutely wonderful job!  I am posting this blog about Becky the day after Kylie's birthday.  Happy Birthday, Kylie!    
Kylie in 2008 at my wedding
     Kylie is now in high school, so it is fun to see how she has grown and matured.  Her brother, Jonah is also in high school.  Steve and Becky adopted Jonah when he was a baby.  I love the story of how God gave them Jonah in His perfect timing.  From the time Steve and Becky handed in their adoption papers to when they were holding baby Jonah in their arms, it was exactly nine months!  Perfect!  That is so beautiful!  What an awesome God we have!
    Besides being a great mom, an excellent teacher, a strong woman of faith, and a good friend, Becky is also a cancer survivor.  Becky has now been cancer free for five years.  When she talks about her cancer, she talks of the peace that God gave her in the midst of it all.  She experienced "The peace that surpasses understanding" like it says in Philippians 4:7.  Her words give me hope for others who have cancer and even for myself when I'm going through hard times.  God is the supplier of peace.  He takes care of His children.
    Becky and I actually grew up in the same area of Minnesota.  Our parents were both teachers.  She had a sister and a brother and I had two sisters and a brother.  Family is important to both of us.  Now our parents are getting older and needing more support from their children.  Becky and I have had some great conversations about what that looks like.  I'm glad we can be here for each other. God gave us brothers and sisters in Christ "for such a time as this," like it says in Esther 4:14.   


To learn more about the "31 Days of Friends and Family Who Inspire Me" project, click here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment