Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Tasha


Orchestra buddies around 1994
High School Buddies around 1994
Laurel, Bennet, Eleanor, Avery
     Happy Birthday, Tasha!!!!  Natasha and I have been friends for a long time.  We were stand partners in orchestra in high school in the 92-93 and 93-94 school years.  One spring we played Largo from Bach's Concerto in D minor for two violins and piano.  What a good, beautiful memory.  Tasha had been homeschooled until her junior year of high school.  She was actually one week younger than me, but a whole year ahead of me in school.  That impressed me.  Since that time I have learned many impressive things about homeschooling.  Natasha and her husband, Jason have chosen to homeschool their own four children.  They are doing a wonderful job!  Later in this blog you can read in Tasha's own words what she likes about homeschooling.  
     When we were in high school together, Tasha once invited me to come pick sweet corn with her on her family's organic farm.  We picked corn in our bare feet because it was so muddy.  What made the biggest impression on me was how joyful everyone was for so early in the morning!  Now that Tasha has a home and land of her own, she  continues to enjoy farming and has instilled that love into her kids.  She has even written a wonderful whole foods cookbook.  Later in this blog you can read in Tasha's own words what it is about farming that she enjoys.  
     Tasha loves music, homeschooling, farming, her family, and the Lord.  She amazes me with her many talents, her beautiful personality, and her wisdom.  She and I can always have good discussions about how God is at work in our lives.  Tasha inspires me to focus on who I am in the Lord, to find contentment in Him, and to trust Him at all times.  Tasha writes so beautifully, and has such wisdom, that I asked her to write down some of her thoughts on what God has been teaching her lately.  May you be blessed as you read her words...
"Each human being is unique – we were each born into a time and place specific to us. We each have a unique role in God’s Kingdom."
"Comparisons, jealousies and insecurities can rob us of the strength and courage to live from our hearts. We need to accept who God made us to be, accept his unconditional and amazing love and know that no one else can live our life for us. We are the only ones able to be US and to share our perspective with the family of God and the world."
"Pain and hardship is okay. We can even be thankful for them. When we truly believe that God is in control, that he has a plan and that we are his beloved, we don’t have to freak out or even be unsettled by hard things. God can use trouble and does use it to draw us to himself and develop our character into Christ likeness. God is in control – nothing happens to us that has not already been through his filter. All things really DO work out for good to those that love God. The trick is to trust that this is so even in the midst of trials." 
"Our goal as Christians is to be disciples of Christ. To learn who he is and how he lived life. To put on his yoke and through the Holy Spirit, allow Him to teach and train us to become more like himself."
"One thing about this Christian walk though is that it is a process and a journey and we are being led by a wonderful Savior!"
Bennet (11), Eleanor (13), Avery (15), Laurel (9)
What I Like About Homeschooling (By Natasha)

  1. I have the majority of influence on my kids during their formative years. I can teach them the value system that Jason & I think is important. I can choose the curriculum that works best for me to teach them the values we hold dear.
  2. I can spend time addressing character, attitude and worldview topics (from our perspective) along with reading, writing, and arithmetic.
  3. We can read the Bible and faith inspiring stories as well as pray together as part of our school day. I am building a foundation of faith in God that will hopefully stay with them the rest of their lives.
  4. They do not have to face significant bullying or other rejection from peers.
  5. They are free from the worry of peer pressure and can focus instead on learning and growing.
  6. I’ve gotten to witness each of them learn to read and see the excitement and love of learning grow in them. It gives me great joy to know that I had a hand in that.
  7. The kids can each focus on their strengths and get specialized help with their weak areas.
  8. They are rewarded for diligence. If they work hard and finish their work early, they have more free time to pursue interests. They don’t have to wait for classmates to finish, for “school” to let out, or for a long bus ride home.
  9. It is very practical, fits our lifestyle and provides opportunities that would be missed otherwise. We can integrate life and chores along with learning. We can keep animals and teach out kids responsibilities with chores as well as where food comes from – without the stress of getting everyone out the door for school early each morning. Everyone is learning what it takes to live and care for oneself: laundry, trash disposal, dishes, animal care, grocery shopping, cooking, earning money and cleaning up after ourselves. This is all part of their education along with the books and study.
  10. The kids are able to work in their grandpa’s business. They miss about a month of book study each year, but are learning other skills. They learn how to get themselves up early (6:00 am) when others are still sleeping and get themselves to a job on time. They learn how to work hard in exchange for good wages. They are learning how to interact with customers and make sales. They have to deal with problems and solve conflicts. They are learning how to do quick math in their head all day long. They are learning how to have a relationship with a boss and with customers and where to have boundaries and when to say no.
On a side note: These are all reasons we choose to homeschool and they may or may not be shared with others who homeschool. I don’t think everyone needs to homeschool and if they do, it certainly doesn’t need to be like we do it. Everyone has different gifts and talents. May they use them in their own way to bring glory to God!

Things I Like About Farming (By Natasha)

  1. I like that it is something I can do to “work from home”.
  2. I have always loved being outdoors. Managing a farm gives me many opportunities to be outside. I enjoy all these things: tilling the ground, planting and weeding, harvesting, caring for the animals, mowing, fencing, pruning, harvesting firewood, and driving tractor.
  3. I like the physical activity and exercise I get while farming. I feel healthy.
  4. I like knowing where a lot of our food comes from.
  5. I like being involved in the whole process of growing food – from planting the seeds to serving it on the supper table. I like my kids understanding the process as well.
  6. It is very satisfying to see my kids eat and grow strong on food we grow.
  7. I like the abundance we have with our cow and garden. Milk is one thing we would use much less of if we had to buy it, but we can afford to drink as much as we want when we have a cow.
  8. I like the money we save by growing and raising our own things. It helps lighten Jason’s burden, allows me to “stay at home”, and allows the kids and I to contribute to our “income” (tax-free income at that).
  9. I truly believe it is a God given love I have of living on the land. I want to use my abilities in the best way possible and be the woman He created me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment